Anyone got any favourite compilation / best of / greatest hits records?
Some people regard these as the devils own but I’m all for a great compilation album. I’ve got into many bands through a good compilation and don’t see anything wrong with them, especially as with some bands, like the Who and The Stones, I find their albums albums are a bit hit and miss and there’s loads of them to trawl through.
(I’d include Neil Young in that too).
Sometimes best of’s have glaring omissions and you can’t understand why?
For example, Life On Mars never made it onto Changes One Bowie and The Only Living Boy In New York never appeared on Simon And Garfunkel’s Greatest Hits.
But, in my opinion, you can’t beat a good compilation (or live album – which were never really live anyway).
Here are my top ten compilation albums which I would never be without. Have I missed anything? (yep, Standing On The Beach and 24 Carat Purple). Let me know in the comments:
- Decade – Neil Young
- The Beatles (Blue Album) 1967-1970
- Weird Scenes Inside The Goldmine – The Doors
- Changes One Bowie – David Bowie
- Meaty Beaty Big And Bouncy – The Who
- We Sold Our Souls For Rock And Roll – Black Sabbath
- REM – Eponymous
- Simon And Garfunkel’s Greatest Hits
- Warren Zevon – A Quiet Normal Life
- Get Stoned – Rolling Stones